From Plank Road Publishingby Teresa Jennings, Paul Jennings, and John Riggio
A Patriotic Collection For Young Voices
Throughout the history of Music K-8 magazine, we have taken pride in bringing schools well-crafted patriotic music for every occasion a school might need it. From stirring settings of America's classic music to music that honors our military to originals that highlight our country's great documents and traditions.
This collection brings you nine of our finest works, together in one place, an outstanding value that you will use for years to come. It includes:
- The Star-Spangled Banner - A singable arrangement (in A-flat) with a powerful orchestral accompaniment track.
- Allegiance Rap - From the solo electric guitar to the symphonic strings and brass to the thumping bass and rock drums, the recording is truly inspirational. The first time through, it is rapped in unison, and the second time, it becomes a call and response.
- America (My Country 'Tis Of Thee) - The song that we now know as "America" is one of the most popular patriotic songs in the United States, and it can tell us a lot about music in our country's first century.
- Declaration - With lyrics taken from the Declaration of Independence, this song helps your students easily learn and remember the famous words that helped build our nation. Set in a majestic rock anthem style, the orchestral adaptation is bold and dramatic.
- Yankee Doodle - This very traditional-sounding arrangement includes an optional narration to introduce the piece. Verses are all unison, but the chorus breaks into an optional divisi each time.
- Taps Prologue/Taps - "Taps" is probably the most recognized military bugle call in America. The "Prologue" is very simple –kids basically sing the melody on "loo" while others speak historic quotations regarding patriots who have given their lives for their country. If you use the "Prologue," you can then segue right into "Taps."
- We The People - This piece has a slow, stately feel to it because the words are important and worthy of consideration for all Americans. It will help your students learn and remember the words of the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution.
- Battle Hymn For Gettysburg - This performance piece combines the text of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address with "Battle Hymn Of The Republic." The text is read while the vocalists use the syllable "loo" for the verses, starting at mezzo piano and increasing in volume as they go. It's very dramatic.
- America The Beautiful - Our magnificent arrangement is truly inspirational and patriotic. With the very familiar melody and lyrics, you can use the song with just about any age level.
About the Downloadable OptionThe downloadable version contains all the components the print version would, but in electronic format. Files may be quite large: A high-speed connection is recommended. (Visit the Download Help page for more info.)
Teacher's Handbook with Reproducible Student Parts & Performance/
(Downloadable PDFs and Performance/
(both Print and Downloadable versions. Download is 90.9MB)