Roots & Branches - A Legacy Of Multicultural Music For Children
From World Music Press/Plank Road Publishingby Patricia Shehan Campbell, Ellen McCullough-Brabson, and Judith Cook Tucker
A Legacy of Multicultural Music for Children
A unique book and audio sampler whose roots circle the globe. A collection of 38 musical memories - songs and singing games - contributed by singers from 23 distinct cultures. Here is an around-the-world collection that offers you more than just a shallow encounter. These refreshingly unfamiliar gems of childhood include hand game songs, game chants, circle dances, lullabies, work songs, and songs for listening.
Each contributor has reached deeply into their musical roots, sharing cherished memories to nurture the many branches of their family and community trees. These proud culture bearers keep the flame of their heritage bright, while living and working within the American mosaic.
These are the roots that anchor us to generations of tradition; these are the branches that intertwine to create a strong network of support, intercultural understanding, and mutual respect. This is their legacy to us and our children of all ages, but particularly 3-12.
The collection includes:
- Selections from Brazil, Cajun, China, England, Eritrea, France, India, Korea, Japan, Puerto Rico, Malaysia, Mozambique, New Mexico, Israel, Vietnam, Cambodia, Kiowa/Comanche, Navajo, Russia, Iran, Ireland, Ecuador, and African-American traditions
- Overview of each culture
- Mini-biography and photograph of each contributor
- Background notes on each song, game directions for each game
- Original language, pronunciation, translation for each song
- Copy-OK musical transcriptions
- Copy-OK maps showing the country of origin for each song
- Copy-OK facts and figures data on easy to read charts for each culture area
The audio recording includes:
- Every selection in the well-loved version of the contributors, sung in the original language, a cappella by them or accompanied by musicians from the culture
- Contributors/Performers include Janice Allen (Georgia Sea Islands), Bayou Seco (Cajun), Sam-Ang Sam (Cambodian), Katya Ponomareva (Russia), and many more
Two files - 44.8MB and 46.1MB. Includes all tracks from the CD and 153-page PDF.
Downloadable component has two files - 44.8MB and 46.1MB. Includes all tracks from the CD and 153-page PDF.