Time To Give Thanks, A
From Plank Road Publishingby Teresa Jennings
A Collection For Young Voices With Optional Thanksgiving Revue Script
November is a time when Americans pause to reflect on those things for which we are grateful. Just as the Pilgrims did, we gather with family and friends to celebrate. We know that music teachers work hard to help students understand why we do this, and over the years, Plank Road Publishing has written many songs - both humorous and poignant - to help teachers and students celebrate this important time of the year. We've found that these tunes also help students make connections across the curriculum. That's a definite plus. You can even use this collection as a Thanksgiving Revue with the script that is included in the Teacher's Handbook.
A Time To Give Thanks includes the following:
- Gratitude Attitude - Help your students develop a great gratitude attitude. With its simple format and unison, easy-to-learn melody, this lively Latin song will help your students think about some of the things in their lives that they are grateful for.
- Mashed Potatoes - Most holiday celebrations, no matter what they are for, involve food. And usually, mashed potatoes are central to any menu. Like this song, they're also lots of fun. Your kids will have a hard time sitting still with this boogie woogie tune.
- Pilgrims - We have had many requests for a song about the Pilgrims, and this unique story song is a tribute to those brave people who crossed the Atlantic in 1620. The song is in a gentle, folk style with a light rock beat. With the included narration, it's easy to create a great cross-curricular project.
- Thankful For The U.S.A. - Set in an infectious Nashville rock style, this song is an inspiration and a reminder to all of us that we are truly fortunate to be Americans. While it is great for Thanksgiving, it will provide energetic fun at any time of year. The melody is simple, memorable, and repetitious.
- Thanksgiving Day - This is a simple, reflective, straightforward secular song about Thanksgiving. It has absolutely nothing to do with Pilgrims, turkeys, football, parades, or the beginning of the Christmas season. As a nice option, a recorder obbligato part is included. You can treat it as a solo obbligato, or use several recorders along with several voices.
- The Turkey Woogie - Where would we be without turkeys at Thanksgiving time? Who else would teach us to dance and celebrate?! Kids everywhere have had a ball singing and moving to this lively song. It's easy to sing and it comes complete with enjoyable movement instructions and a sizzling big band accompaniment that makes it very easy for your young performers to really get into it.
- We Are Thankful - There is no season for gratitude - it's always important! This tune is ideal for the celebration of Thanksgiving or any other event that calls for gratitude or appreciation. Set in a style that's a cross between folk, gospel, and good ol' boom-chick, your students will have a great time singing this song at any time of the year.
About the Downloadable OptionThe downloadable version contains all the components the print version would, but in electronic format. Files may be quite large: A high-speed connection is recommended. (Visit the Download Help page for more info.)
Teacher's Handbook with Reproducible Student Parts & Performance/
Downloadable component has 2 files - 28.6MB and 24.4MB