From Plank Road Publishingby Teresa Jennings
An Excellent Exhibition Of Awesome Talent
With this special all-school revue, we offer a venue for you to showcase your students' talents however you like. The songs provided aren't just fun to sing, they are perfect ways to set up performances by the many unique talents found in your classroom or the entire school.
Use some or all of these songs to make up a program that displays your school's star performers from dancers to singers, from instrumental soloists or small groups to acrobats. It's Showtime!... as only your school can do it! From Volume 28 of Music K-8 magazine, It's Showtime! includes:
- It's Showtime! - Part show tune, part rock/country/pop anthem, the first song in the revue provides you with an enthusiastic opening statement that sets the tone for what will follow. Opportunities abound for adding show-like hand gestures, actions, and other simple movement.
- This Is Where I Am - Let your youngest students, or a combination of younger and older students, sing about themselves and their place in the world. Happily, this is also a song that can be used in a cross curricular way, teaching children to think of perspective – an abstract idea, to be sure. Mostly though, it is just plain cute.
- If Feet Could Talk - Accessible to singers of all ages, this jazzy swing tune features a terrific big band on the Performance/Accompaniment recording. Purposeful "holes" in the melody allow you to fill them with the rhythm of your young tappers' feet. An instrumental interlude is perfect for a featured section of tapping. Use our choreography, or come up with your own!
- Play In A Rhythm Band - This easy-going country folk style song gives you a chance to show off your percussion ensemble. While we have written out suggested parts for the instruments named in the lyrics, you can change the rhythmic patterns or instruments being used if you like. Vocally, this song is a duet. The second part is optional, but it adds a nice sound when incorporated. Use a small group of older students or other singers for reinforcement if you need a little help. For a neat effect during the second time through, the vocalists whistle instead of sing!
- It Is To Laugh - Good luck getting your kids to keep straight faces during this silly piece. Not only does it have jokes, it asks performers to assume an air of pompousness while doing it. Therein, of course, lies the humor.
- Give With Your Heart - Every revue needs at least one gentle song to balance it. In this case, we decided to make it a song with a message. A reminder of generosity, brotherhood, and good will is something we could all use. This song also provides an opportunity to include ukulele, guitar, and some optional percussion, if you wish. We have even suggested some optional movement with scarves, indicated on the music.
- Miles Of Smiles - Wrap up the show with a lively send off! This rock march provides just that with a super simple verse and an easily remembered chorus hook to bounce along with. While there is a part 2, as usual it's optional. Very simple, very catchy, very fun.
All versions now available!
About the Downloadable OptionThe downloadable version contains all the components the print version would, but in electronic format. Files may be quite large: A high-speed connection is recommended. (Visit the Download Help page for more info.)
Teacher's Handbook with Reproducible Student Parts & Performance/
Downloadable PDF and Performance/
Both Print and Downloadable. Download is 113.2MB.
Hard copy book with downloadable Performance/