From Plank Road Publishingby Teresa Jennings
They say that laughter is the best medicine. We also think that it is the perfect idea for one of the coolest all-school revues around. Lighten Up is designed to be very versatile, including ten possible songs and a few hilarious music-based skits. It's a kid favorite, because it's also a great opportunity for them to really "ham it up" and show off their acting talents. Included in this revue are the songs:
- Lighten Up - The positive, swing-style opener sets the tone for what will follow - humor!
- Blarney - The first skit sets up this parody of that oh-so-famous entertainment dinosaur that very young children know and love. Very, very simple and short, it can be sung by your young students.
- Funny, Funny Face - Here's another song for your youngest kids. Watch out, though, they may get distracted showing off all the funny faces they can make.
- Theme From Crocodile Guy - This is probably the easiest song you'll ever teach. A tribute to the "Crocodile Hunter," Steve Erwin, there are only two words in this song. But when sung with intensity, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Whacky Song - Here's a fun little song designed to show off your students' Boomwhacker® abilities. The lyrics are just plain fun.
- Knock Knock - This joke song is a set-up for some young comedians to do their shtick. As a rule, the knock knock jokes are pretty tame and perhaps will entice some of your shy students to participate.
- A Cowboy's Lament - The first of three short, clever songs, this one talks about the down side of the cowboy life - saddle sores! It's also an opportunity to showcase one of your stronger actors with a solo.
- Carmen Banana's Song - Short and sweet, this tune will be lots of fun for those audience members old enough to remember Carmen Miranda, Ricky Ricardo, and the Copacabana Singers. It's also lots of fun for those who are too young to know, but find out how much fun fruit can be!
- That's Easy For You To Say - Tongue twisters are fun to say and listen to. Let your students try out a couple in this song. Mispronunciations will only add to the fun.
- Yodelady - Amazingly, this tune combines hip-hop and a yodeling polka. It's a hoot!
- Words Of Wisdom - This is a seriously silly song that provides a nice contrast to the funny and theatrical finale. The opposition between words and music style will keep your audience chuckling. They even get to join in on the last chorus.
- This Show Is Over - Like some of the great comic Broadway closers, it just keeps trying to finish, only to rev up one more time. What fun!
Besides these great songs, the revue includes great skits such as "Blarney," "Crocodile Guy," and "Who Wants To Be A Really Rich Person?" - all parodies of well-known television shows. There is so much packed into this production that you really need to listen to the music to get the full impact.
Teacher's Handbook with Reproducible Student Parts & Performance/
Downloadable PDF and Performance/
Both Print and Download. Download is 89.1MB
Hard copy book with downloadable Performance/