Sing For Earth Day
From Plank Road Publishing
by Teresa Jennings
Songs For Making Our Planet A Better Place
From the very first issue of Music K-8 magazine, we have created many songs that teach students about their world and its resources. This special collection brings together eight of the most popular of these tunes. You will hear the variety of styles and wealth of creativity in the excerpts below.
Here's what you'll hear:
- This Is Our World - While this striking Latin rock song is most effective when performed in three parts, it works well as a unison. It's the perfect way to open any performance.
- Mother Earth - Gentle and folk-like, this reflective gem would be lovely performed with just piano and guitar, but if you use the recording, you will be performing with the world-class players we use on every recording.
- Save The Earth - This unique blend of styles is one of our all-time favorites. Just listen to that wonderful soloist! (Singing it in unison is another option, of course.) Starting with a simple, almost classical verse, it builds through a cumulative rap section and becomes an infectious rock anthem that will keep the strong environmental message in the hearts of young singers for years.
- The Green Blues - Perhaps a song about such a serious subject shouldn't be so much fun to sing, but then again, sometimes we learn the most from things that we enjoy repeating. In this rollicking, bluesy tune, Teresa Jennings has created a way to look at many of the problems our environment is prone to. Zeroing in on such things as air quality, this tune features recorded tracks full of lively sound effects that help bring the message home.
- Listen To The Earth - It's a real pleasure to sing this easy-going folk rock song, and the rich orchestration features a beautiful solo English horn with two oboes for counterpoint.
- Plant A Tree - Ideal for movement, this lively Latin jazz tune features a great big band orchestration on the recording. Good luck sitting still once it starts!
- Nature Starts A Song - This simple, lovely round is a celebration of nature and the music we hear within it. A peaceful and acoustic tune, it could be performed live using only piano, or piano and guitars, mandolin, bells, etc., depending on what you have. On the recording, we begin with just guitar and a few birds happily singing along. As the song progresses, more sounds and textures are added: drums, bass, piano, mandolin, harp, and bells.
- As You Walk Through This World - Here is a very beautiful song that is rich in meaning and a wonderful way to practice singing with a pretty tone. We have added the option of using sign language.
About the Downloadable OptionThe downloadable version contains all the components the print version would, but in electronic format. Files may be quite large: A high-speed connection is recommended. (Visit the Download Help page for more info.)
Teacher's Handbook with Reproducible Student Parts & Performance/Accompaniment CD
Downloadable component has 2 files - 37.1MB and 36.8MB