From: pattyo at conwaycorp.net

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:08:54 -0500

Print List Archive Message

Dear Kelly:
What a decision! Change can be hard, but invigorating. I taught 10 years
at the elementary level and was SO very ready to move on. I moved to Middle
School and stayed for 15 years. I loved it. When I say that, what I think I
loved was this age of development. They are able to do much more than
elementary - even on days when they don't want to. So, hormones play a big
role as well as girl drama. The boys are easier to handle (except for
wanting to impress the girls which is hilarious). Are they separated or
together? I found that in choir situations separation turned out better. The
boys were more likely to sing out. But if they are together, that works too.
I made sure to include lots of fun activities; waterpark, trampoline park,
paint ball, laser tag, singing at the baseball game, performing anywhere and
everywhere I could. Recruitment and retention was the point and was
difficult in many ways. I put in lots of extra hours for these evening
activities as well as having to participate in All Region competitions, etc.
So, in my experience (and yours may be less demanding) I couldn't just leave
school and go home and have my free weekend. There was more to it. Which
really helped kids connect and bond with me and was so enriching for them.
They will love you forever. They are extremely loyal at this age for sure.
As to piano skills, I used them a lot. However, much of my teaching was
away from the piano getting them to listen to themselves and each other
without relying on the piano. My choirs were heavy on sightreading which
really pleased those directors in the upper grade choir program. We had
tears, we had laughter, we had the joy of singing and of creating beautiful
music. We also had fist fights, unkind words between girls - but I tried so
hard to ingrain "Leave the drama at the door". Still, middle school was so
much more fulfilling to me than at the elementary level. (Of course, I love
them too!)
It would be wise to ask ahead as to program demands; how many concerts,
competitions?, evening and weekend duties? Then, weigh it. You are gaining
time for not having to commute so far. But in my case, I added a whole lot
of other activities that took time out of my personal life. A choir that has
performance avenues stays more focused and excited about what they are
doing. But, that is "extra" on us who direct them (organizing permission
slips, chaperones, parent communication, communicating with venues, being
sure a bus was available and a driver - although I ended up getting my CDL
so I wouldn't have to worry about all of that! Certainly, not everyone's cup
of tea!).
What's your load going to be? Are you required to actively recruit? What
does fundraising look like? Is there a system in place for removing kids
from choir? (Avoiding the dumping ground issue which happens with choirs and
not with bands/orchestras.) Choirs are cheap for parents. I don't think the
counselors would just stick a kid in 8th grade band when that kids doesn't
have an instrument or any background knowledge of how to play. But it does
happen in choir.
Do you have a budget for choir? For music, etc? What do they wear for
performances?
Lots of questions! Lots to think about. Good luck.

PattyO in AR