From: Jill Young

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:14:38 -0400

Print List Archive Message

I taught 23 years elementary and was made to go to middle school chorus.
Pros:
Being treated like an equal! Holy moly, that was awesome! I had exactly
same duty schedule, etc., like the homeroom teachers. It was fabulous.
Planning period: most I ever had.
Preps-three grade levels, not six!
Not getting sick-I was always sick teaching elementary. I was only sick
twice in the four years I did middle school (well, not counting cancer!).
They get my jokes. They can also be super, super funny.
Working with a band director. I had never in my life worked with another
music teacher. It was fantastic.
The ability level…..I LOVED that!
Cons:
I missed the relationship of watching kids grow up over six or seven years.
I missed kids getting excited to see me in the hallway and cheering when it
was music day.
I missed teaching the whole school.
They don’t HAVE to take your class, so you have to recruit. I also usually
found a way to make sure those who were simply there to cause issues didn’t
sign up again.
Hormones. Have mercy.
Over all…..I was less stressed and grew to really like it. I know that
sounds nuts, but look at the pros listed above. My son was also in middle
school, so we were on the same schedule and the same school part of the
time (I had two). Middle school kids can be a handful, and they have more
mature issues….but they can be pretty great.
All my students are in high school now (I was on medical leave a year,
then retired). I came by the high school chorus room and completely
derailed her class for a few minutes because my former kids mobbed me,
wanting to know how I was. Lol! With middle school kids, I was never
sure if some liked me, apparently they did! The high school chorus teacher
is also a former student of mine, she was good with it! :-)
I will warn you, the older ones may give you a run for your money the
first year because they miss the previous director : they did me, both
schools. 2nd year….all good!
I did find they were much easier to handle having a kid that age, than when
I student taught middle school.
Sorry, that was an essay. I was just thinking about this kind of thing and
saw your post.
Jill in NC

Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com
List Administrator: list_admin@