From: Janice Prowant

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 15:04:00 -0500

Print List Archive Message

Brian,
I've been exactly where you are! And my answer is a little different than
the others. When I realized that teaching music is a JOB and not a calling
or work of the heart, things got better for me. I can't think of a job that
I would rather do, so I'm sticking with this one. But now that I see it as
a job, I appreciate the special moments. The joy seems more joyful now that
I see it as a bonus and not the expectation.
I also make sure to invest time in finding new repertoire-- especially for
concerts. New songs, new dances, new games, and new video examples all feed
my soul. But when I have an average day, I don't go home disappointed.
After all, it's a job!
There's one more thing that's helped me more than I ever expected... I've
been focusing on having fun this year. Catherine Price did an excellent TED
talk about having fun. She talks about flow, playfulness, connection and
being "easy to laugh." I've always been someone who laughs loudly and
often; I never thought that just trying to laugh easily would change me
like it has. But being playful and laughing with the kids has been a real
gift--for me and for them.
I have at least 5 years of teaching left--right now I can see myself
wanting to stay longer!
Best of luck to you! I hope you find what you need.
Janice (in sunny and warm PA)

--
*NOTICE:* This email and any attachments may contain confidential
information for the exclusive use of the named addressee(s). If you are not