From: Ann Wells

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 19:55:29 -0400

Print List Archive Message

Many kinders wouldn't have been in school last year anyway, if pre-K where
you are is like where I have taught. Don't forget that it's the beginning
of the year and all you do with kinders right now is herd cats, even when
the previous year wasn't crazy. But 30 of them at once - yikes! That's a
lot. It will get better as they learn from their classroom teachers how to
be students at school, but I know that doesn't help you right now!
Yeah, I agree with active activities, steady beat copying, etc. Oooh, they
like freeze dances, those are always good. Both just listening and also
where they have to copy the picture you are holding up when the music stops
(I used to have a set of stick figures I downloaded from Artie Almeida's
website, don't know if they're still available, and I've also found freeze
dance pictures on TpT). MK8's Freeze from vol. 14(?) is one of my faves.
Denise Gagne has a couple of books with active songs in them...
I also like "Listen listen here I come, someone special gets the drum"
from First Steps in Music (sorry I can't give details, I loaned my book and
never got it back :( ) Anyway, it's a mainly so-mi melody, you demonstrate
playing the steady beat on a drum/tambourine/other instrument, then you
hold the instrument while letting each student play the beat while you sing
the song (or you could chant it) - the key is, you sing it following
whatever beat the student is playing.
Story time is a good way to end - one of the first books I share is Pete
the Cat Rockin' in My School Shoes because I use that to introduce the 4
voices, which is usually the first lesson I do after the first class with
the rules and procedures and introductions and whatnot.
That's my brain dump for right now...good luck!!
~Ann in NC
Ann Wells - annmusic7@gmail.com

Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com
List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com