From: Jill Young

Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 15:37:42 -0400

Print List Archive Message

I am so sorry to hear this. I went through something similar three years
ago except I was simply not replaced and forced to teach middle school
chorus . No more music at my former school. It was a state money thing.
So hard after I spent 23 years building that program and I honestly still
mourn it sometimes. I was VERY upset no parents felt the need to protest,
but I realized later since I was transferred to the middle school and my
son was going to middle school the same year, assumption was it was
something I wanted. Whenever the kids or parents ask (my former school
feeds my current school) I tell them the truth.
Something that has comforted me: they can’t take away the years you WERE
there. The powers that be might not recognize how important that was, but
the kids do. When I am feeling particularly down, I always end up with a
Facebook message or see a former student in real life that tells me what I
meant to them. It really helps. My first parent night as a middle
school chorus teacher, I was in a panic and the very first parent to show
up was a former student. Then a second showed up across the hall as a band
parent. It just helped.
So, didn’t mean to hijack your story, but you have my full sympathy and
maybe it will work out.
Jill in NC

Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com
List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com