From: Ann Wells

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 19:49:29 -0400

Print List Archive Message

All the resource (specials) teachers are going into the classrooms,
including PE - he's doing his health curriculum instead of PE curriculum
right now. They eat in the classrooms, teachers switch instead of students
for the team-teaching grade levels (3-5). Each class has a designated time
and a place for recess outside, but nobody is allowed to use the playground
because the custodians don't have time to clean/sanitize the equipment
between classes using it. Our school district gave everyone (staff and
students) five cloth masks, but I use the ones my mom made for me out of
music fabric (I have some Doctor Who ones, too, finally had a use for the
cloth I had bought at JoAnn just because it was there!). I wear those
around campus when I'm not teaching and on Fridays when the kids aren't
there, but when I'm in the classrooms to teach I wear a KN95 mask.
I read something recently that said we were still basing what we are doing
on our May understanding of COVID and not the August understanding of it.
Schools are focusing so much on sanitizing surfaces even though we know
that while it can be transmitted that way, that's not the primary way.
Evidence is pointing more and more to aerosol transmission, not just
droplets, yet we're keeping kids indoors in the same space for 7 hours a
day and not making sure the ventilation is adequate - at my older school,
probably not as good as it needs to be to keep the air turned over. Sigh.
At least I'm only in each classroom for 45 minutes at a time (55 for 5th
grade).
Hang in there, everyone!
~Ann in NC
Ann Wells - annmusic7@gmail.com