From: Febinger, Nikki

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 13:46:52 0000

Print List Archive Message

Excellent advice from everyone! Our kids start on Monday, so this is ESPECIALLY needed today. May God bless us all this year with emotional and physical strength!

How many classes are you teaching?

Esther Davis
Fine Arts Teacher
Music Memory UIL Coach
Link-Up Recorder/Vocal Coach
J.L. Everhart Magnet International Baccalaureate

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 4:36 PM Ann Wells wrote:

> So I've just finished my first week "a la cart" and it went pretty
> well, especially once I abandoned my cute sandals (and even my sport
> sandals!) and started wearing my tennis shoes. Here's what I ended up
> doing and what I discovered after four days...
> For my "Opening routine" I did the following:
> 1. I just told the students that while I was coming in and setting up,
> they needed to be sure their desks were cleared off and everything put
> away, and then they could look at my cart and see if they could find
> any clues about what we might be doing in class (not that there will
> be any actual clues, but I do have the greeting choices on magnet
> clips on the side, and my Doctor Who-inspired "I'm the Teacher" sign
> (TpT freebie!), and baskets with the books I'm using, and at some
> point there may be instruments, and stuff like that. And they don't
> know that I haven't planted any kind of clue on there...mwahaha...).
> And so far, most of the teachers have had them clear their desks
> before I get there, so I have told them want them to make sure their
> desks are clear, but with a few exceptions they haven't needed to do
> that, they have just been sitting quietly at their socially distanced desks with a kind of "I've been sitting in this desk too long"
> glazed over look... :(
> 2. Once I was set up, we did a warm-up (simple steady beat echoing for
> K and 1, without the song I would usually sing to go with it, sigh,
> and for everyone else, I held up cards with movement cues and had them
> do that movement in a steady beat to music - I'm using the IP track of
> MK8's Bright Happy Day). I don't plan on it being the same every time,
> but there will be some activity, whether it's movement or rhythm
> reading or whatever. I'm thinking probably movement would be good more
> often than not for the aforementioned eyes glazed over looks.
> 3. Then I called roll and let them choose a greeting. Last year I had
> four greetings posted by the door, and they chose which they wanted as
> they came in, and again as a goodbye when they left - things like
> handshakes, high fives, waves, salutes, fist bumps, etc. I pulled all
> the "no-touch" options from my card set and I chose three of them,
> which I'll use for a few weeks and then change out with other things.
> When I called their names, they did one of the three things (current
> options are wave, salute, or wink) and I did the same back.
> 4. I kept forgetting, but my plan is to display the "musical message"
> (a la Responsive Classroom morning message) while I call roll so they
> can be reading while they wait, and after I finish greeting, we read
> the message together, and then transition into the main part of the lesson.
>
> For those familiar with Responsive Classroom, the parts of my routine
> mostly follow the recommended opening routine in the RC for Art,
> Music, PE, etc. teachers book.
>
> The part of the routine I was most concerned about and was asking
> [...]

Email Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. Please reply and notify the sender, delete the message and any attachments and destroy all copies.
Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com
List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com
To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick