From: Ann Wells

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 17:35:52 -0400

Print List Archive Message

So I've just finished my first week "a la cart" and it went pretty well,
especially once I abandoned my cute sandals (and even my sport sandals!)
and started wearing my tennis shoes. Here's what I ended up doing and what
I discovered after four days...
For my "Opening routine" I did the following:
1. I just told the students that while I was coming in and setting up, they
needed to be sure their desks were cleared off and everything put away, and
then they could look at my cart and see if they could find any clues
about what we might be doing in class (not that there will be any actual
clues, but I do have the greeting choices on magnet clips on the side, and
my Doctor Who-inspired "I'm the Teacher" sign (TpT freebie!), and baskets
with the books I'm using, and at some point there may be instruments, and
stuff like that. And they don't know that I haven't planted any kind of
clue on there...mwahaha...). And so far, most of the teachers have had them
clear their desks before I get there, so I have told them want them to
make sure their desks are clear, but with a few exceptions they haven't
needed to do that, they have just been sitting quietly at their socially
distanced desks with a kind of "I've been sitting in this desk too long"
glazed over look... :(
2. Once I was set up, we did a warm-up (simple steady beat echoing for K
and 1, without the song I would usually sing to go with it, sigh, and for
everyone else, I held up cards with movement cues and had them do that
movement in a steady beat to music - I'm using the IP track of MK8's Bright
Happy Day). I don't plan on it being the same every time, but there will be
some activity, whether it's movement or rhythm reading or whatever. I'm
thinking probably movement would be good more often than not for the
aforementioned eyes glazed over looks.
3. Then I called roll and let them choose a greeting. Last year I had four
greetings posted by the door, and they chose which they wanted as they came
in, and again as a goodbye when they left - things like handshakes, high
fives, waves, salutes, fist bumps, etc. I pulled all the "no-touch" options
from my card set and I chose three of them, which I'll use for a few weeks
and then change out with other things. When I called their names, they did
one of the three things (current options are wave, salute, or wink) and I
did the same back.
4. I kept forgetting, but my plan is to display the "musical message" (a la
Responsive Classroom morning message) while I call roll so they can be
reading while they wait, and after I finish greeting, we read the message
together, and then transition into the main part of the lesson.
For those familiar with Responsive Classroom, the parts of my routine
mostly follow the recommended opening routine in the RC for Art, Music, PE,
etc. teachers book.
The part of the routine I was most concerned about and was asking about was
the first part, but it really hasn't been an issue. I have just let the
students sit quietly and wait on me, and my prep has been fairly quick so
they haven't had to wait very long at all. I set up a google sites website
with each grade level's Google Slides presentation with
agenda/visuals/lesson resources embedded in it, and I used tinyurl.com to
customize a url I could remember easily. We (the resource teachers) had
asked that the computer attached to the smart board be available and a
browser open for us, so all I had to do was type in my tiny url and start
the embedded slides presentation. And the second day in each class (and
from here on out) was even easier because all I had to do was start typing
and it came up because it was in the browser history. So, except for the
first day when I realized that I had forgotten to make sure the sharing
settings on the embedded google docs were correct and had to go in on my
chromebook and fix it, and unless I had to wait on the teacher to finish
lunch count/attendance/whatever should have been finished before I got
there (just one teacher so far, but happened both days I was in her room!),
it didn't take me long at all to get things going. I have a bluetooth
speaker on my cart and my chromebook, both of which had sufficient battery
life for what little I was playing music and/or looking at my lesson plans,
so as long as I remember to charge things when I'm back in my classroom, I
shouldn't need to plug the cart in.
So far so good...thanks for all the ideas and advice shared so far, and
hopefully this will be helpful to my fellow covid cart-pushers.
~Ann in NC
Ann Wells - annmusic7@gmail.com

List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com
To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick