From: J. Mattoon

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 16:20:10 -0400

Print List Archive Message

Hi All,
For the last five years I've been in a small school with no music room, so
I've had ages 3-6 together "a la cart", and K, gr1, gr2, gr3, gr456 and
gr78 either in the lunchroom or the multipurpose room, depending.
Question- what's the main reason that you want to do an entrance routine?
Is it about maximizing lesson time? IMO, if the kids can handle just
socializing peacefully at their desks, my advice is to let them. Don't
cheat yourself out of having some time to breathe while you plug in the
cords etc. It's good for the kids and there won't be any dead air. If the
purpose of the entrance routine is about managing behavior by keeping them
occupied, then I would go with a silent watch-and-copy (student-led) or
breathe-and-stretch -- but keep in mind that while you're setting up, the
kids might need to be spending time doing something non-musical -- like
washing their hands. You have to read the room and team up with each
classroom teacher, continually.
Normally I'm really protective of my "music minutes" and one of my biggest
goals is to squeeze the most musical action out of our time. But no matter
what, sometimes I'm going to arrive and the kids are covered with cupcake
frosting, or the wifi is down, or the teacher has to have a meeting in that
space, so I'll save the super loud and the focused listening things for
after they're done. Going room-to-room has helped me clarify the boundary
between what I can and cannot control, which has helped me slow my roll for
the better (I think).
Because the a-la-cart situation is made of curveballs.... Think of the
times in your past when you've adapted well to a last-second curveball, and
thnk of what preparation or attitudes made that adaptation possible? For
example (this story takes place at my former school where I had a music
room, but still fits what I'm trying to explain): One day we had some water
dripping from the ceiling. We totally *crushed* that opportunity - the K
kids were finding the steady beat of the drips resonating in the trash can,
we were moving our hands to the tempo of the drips, doing focused listening
and seeing if we could echo the sound of the drips... I really believe that
teachers' proudest moments from this year aren't goign to be the planned
moments, but the ones where we "steered into the skid" a little bit and
improvised and have fun.
My two cents,
Jean in MA

List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com