From: Ann Wells

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 08:47:13 -0400

Print List Archive Message

Hi, list friends...
I am going to be on a cart this year, at least for the first part of it -
haven't lost my room or anything, minimizing kid (and theoretically, germ)
movement is the name of the game for now. Hopefully later in the year
things will change!
At any rate, I have a specific question - I'm very interested in Responsive
Classroom and even last year started incorporating things from it into my
teaching. Right now I am trying to set up a beginning-of-class routine but
I am not envisioning how that is going to look when I am coming to them
rather than the students coming to me. I have the Responsive Classroom for
Art, Music, and PE book, but all of the discussion and examples of opening
routines revolve around how students enter my space, and even though it
acknowledges and mentions the fact that many special area teachers travel
to classrooms, it gives no examples of how RC looks in those situations,
which is frustrating for me. So, finally, after all that background, my
question: What can I have the kids do while I am coming in with my cart (I
hope...don't actually have one yet but I think the principal is getting
them for us?) and pulling up my website on the classroom computer and all
that? I plan to set up a website with all my display resources - google
slides presentations and whatnot so I don't have to worry about logging in
to every computer etc., but that will still take a minute and we all know
the kids get squirrely when they're waiting on us to do things like this.
In my classroom, I'd have the daily message and maybe a warmup activity or
a Think-Pair-Share question or a rhythm to practice already displayed for
them to do when they got settled, but when I come to them, they will have
to wait on me to get that displayed.
Also, although I haven't been told by anyone specifically that I *can't*
sing with my kids, I am not planning on singing based on my understanding
of the science (or at least playing it safe considering how much we
actually don't know...) so having some kind of opening song we can do while
I set up isn't an option either.
Ideas, anyone? I'm finding a lot of advice/pointers/etc. about teaching on
a cart, but nothing specific to routines/managing behaviors/preventing down
time.
Thanks!!
~Ann in NC
Ann Wells - annmusic7@gmail.com