From: Paul Jennings

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 19:46:28 -0500

Print List Archive Message

Hi, all,
I’m not a big fan of teaching with tablature for young students, either. It is the gradual inclusion of chord symbols that kids will get the most use out of in the future, adding single note learning as you progress. Especially if you only have limited time with the students, tablature will slow down learning with most groups.
Chime in teachers who have taught for a number of years.
Be well,
Paul
****************
Paul Jennings
Plank Road Publishing, Inc.
https://www.musick8.com
https://www.recorderclassroom.com
https://www.goldenrulemusic.com

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 3:16 PM, wrote:
>
> For those of you who teach ukulele, I would like to pick your brains. I've
> taught it for two years now, but mostly to fifth grade. I taught some
> chords to the fourth graders last year starting in April.
>

> I'm rethinking my approach and sequence. So, here are some questions:
>

> 1) Do any of you use a method and if so, do you like it? I have been using
> Rainbow Ukulele I got from Teachers Pay Teachers, but I'm rethinking some
> things.
>

> 2) Do you teach tablature? Rainbow Ukulele does, so I have been, but it
> seems to confuse some of the students. Since I have taught reading the
> treble clef extensively with recorder before they try ukulele, is it better
> to just stick with standard notation and teach the fingering for the notes
> rather than introduce tablature?
>

> Thanks for any help with this.
>

> Sandy Laird

> Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com