From: Cara Coffey

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 16:55:20 0000

Print List Archive Message

For this standard, I teach about the connections between music and the
other subjects. Here are some examples:

When discussing the divisions of a whole note, we relate to fractions in
math. Math also comes up when discussing time signatures and completing
measures/drawing bar lines according to the TS.

Reading comes up frequently when we discuss vocabulary from the song (like
the SSB which has a lot of words with unfamiliar meanings like ramparts) We
also discuss the songwriter's purpose as well as summarizing what the song
is about. Musically, it gives students a greater understanding of how the
text relates to the music (dynamics, tempo, articulation) while bridging
the concepts taught in ELA.

I'm also planning my second Science of Sound night right now that focuses
on how sound is created, how different instruments create sound, the
relationship between shorter/longer and higher/lower, etc.

When teaching a song from another country, we discuss the region, find it
on Google Earth, talk about the climate, discuss cultural aspects of the
music that identify with that music. I did a Christmas Around the World
with each grade having a couple different countries, we compared and
contrasted holiday traditions as well as music that the students had heard
before or not.

For health science, we discuss similarities between vocal health and
general health factors (exercise, water, no smoking, no drugs, etc.)

I hope this helps. I can give more examples when I'm actually looking at my
lesson plans.

Cara