From: Tami Mangusso

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 19:13:14 -0600

Print List Archive Message

In Colorado we can do just a unit (9 weeks), a semester (half a year), or
the whole year. I am guessing that since you're asking this so late in the
year that you are doing a unit (or a quarter).

I am doing rhythm with my fourth graders. I am doing a mix of performance
and written. I have been doing mine all year long. I gave a pretest in
October, then I did a mid test back in January, and I will be giving the
final test in April.

The written test is three parts. Part one the students have to match the
rhythm to the correct syllable pattern (draw a line from the rhythm to the
syllables). Part two they have to circle the rhythm they hear. There are
four examples with two rhythms. The third part they have to write the
rhythm of the song. I have the lyrics printed out and they have to write
rhythm above the word. I used the song Ida Red.

The performance test they have to decode a rhythm from a neutral syllable.
I will say the rhythm using "ba" (e.g ba babab babababa ba= ta titit tika
tika ta), then they had to read a rhythm, then just play a rhythm without
saying the syllables. I did videotaped them doing this so I can go back
and listen to them again to make sure I scored them right. I am using John
Feierabend's Conversational solfege book 2. I am using his rubrics that
are in the back of the book. They get a score for correct syllable use and
a score for performing the rhythm to a steady beat.

Tami in CO
ariosostudio@gmail.com
ariosostudio.com