From: Kathleen Bragle

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 13:55:06 -0500

Print List Archive Message

Oh Jody, this is a topic near and dear to my heart! Important question -
is your chorus optional? We changed things in my district four years ago
that said that all children in fourth and fifth grade were to be in
chorus. I was not in favor of this initially - I won't go into why at this
point - but I gradually came to see the value of that. Here is the
clincher - by having everyone in a grade level in chorus, in addition to
all the musical benefits, classroom teachers, special ed teachers, speech
people etc. could use that time slot to meet and plan and whatever. I
pushed that notion a lot. It was a challenge to have over 100 kids in
there at once (I insisted that the aides come with their assigned kids.)
but I happened to teach in a district with superb kids with great
attitudes. I loved that group dearly (I had fifth grade chorus) and
praised them to the hilt at the end of the year for their great attitude
and behavior. Those kids are now in 8th grade!

If your chorus is optional then there is a bit of "baggage". I always felt
that by making it optional, I had to be on my toes and make Chorus a viable
option for kids. I had to make it so that they WANTED to join! I had to
do MORE than my best! :) That scenario might make things a bit more
challenging. Depending on how you feel and so many other factors, you
might want to think of changing thins to mandatory membership. (As I said
above, I gradually came around to see the value in that.)

We always scheduled chorus at the end of the day and that helped somewhat
too. I was constantly in contact with the classroom teachers so that we
could work as a TEAM. Usually, after the last concert, chorus would end,
but then again, each year it might be different. Most times, the teachers
really wanted/needed the kids back in their room. Oh (as a NY state
teacher you will understand this) - our contract delineated too, how much
duty free time was allotted teachers each day. This Chorus time was above
and beyond that so I would try to listen to them and their needs but also
gently remind them too that they were already in compliance with the
contract. I also had much work to do too.......I have to say though that
once again, I worked with wonderful teachers and for the most part, these
issues became non-issues. The key was staying in touch and communicating.

Think this through carefully. Think about time and what would work best in
your school. (For many years, I did the Master Schedule in my school so
for me, this was easy.) Try to think through these schedule "issues"
before they become issues and before you present anything to your
colleagues. Check your contract and make sure that you are in compliance
and once you get a "plan" run it by your union rep. DON'T let it get stuck
in recess. Chances are that if that happens, it will run into YOUR
contractually defined duty free time. Try to present something to them
that you have meticulously planned and have anticipated any problems. Be
prepared. It is SO worth it!

I hope this is some help to you, Jody! Contact me if you have any more
questions. Glad to help in any way!

Kathleen Bragle, NBCT
( retired )

Under all circumstances