From: Becky Luce

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 13:39:57 -0500

Print List Archive Message

Hi Jody,

I have always had chorus during school. In my school of a little over 400,
I have 3 choruses; 1 each for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. They each meet for
45 minutes a week. They are considered a class and everyone is required to
take it (I LOVE that!). My groups are approximately 87 kids per group.
When I'm absent, my sub covers the class but I never expect anyone to lead
an actual rehearsal. My principal has given me permission to leave a movie
for a sub on those days. Fortunately, the only time that usually happens
is when I'm away at a conference or some other type of professional
development.
I always hold chorus, even when concerts are over. We'll review the
concert, talk about what went well and set goals for the next concert
season. Since I don't ever have soloists in concerts, I also use the
rehearsal after to let anyone who WANTS to try a short solo in front of the
group. We talk about risk-taking, supporting our classmates, etc., etc.
It's almost always a positive time for them and something they look
forward to.

Becky in NH