From: M Stanley

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:10:54 -0500

Print List Archive Message

Mine is going well. I've been developing manipulatives and
posters/flipcharts, etc., to make teaching well.
I am about to develop a set of checklists so I can "show growth" for
different skill levels.
I have one special needs kid who is hauling butt and can play "When I'm
gone" and "Silent Night" very nicely. Woo hoo.
My emphasis on the singing with accompaniment, so EVERYTHING we do has a
song attached.
With first graders, for example, we learned a SM song with a chant part and
accompanied ourselves on it AFTER we knew the vocal parts.
My plan is to teach the songs first, then add the ukes. I'm digging into a
lot of old songs that are classics....Buffalo Gals, Sandy Land, etc.
I'm using the ukes to REALLY work on form, btw. And singing of course,
and steady beat.
I'm enjoying it.
My strings are now staying in tune. But at the beginning I PULLED the
strings up and stretched them every day for two weeks before tuning them.
Pulled pretty hard too, and they settled down. They kept their basic tune
all summer - but that's a long stretch to hold a tune, so I did have to
retune, but it wasn't awful at all.
I have Lanakai LI - 11 - the lower end model. They are just fine. I chose
this brand partly because they come with Aquila strings which are highly
recommended. Many other brands use lesser strings and the sound gets
complained about. If you change your plinky strings to Aquilas, you may
hear a big difference.

Love these little babes.