From: Denise in SC

Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 21:31:19 -0400

Print List Archive Message

Today we were finally expecting contracts - 9 -10 weeks after we
usually get them! This year we were supposed to get them from the
principal. Usually the secretary gets them and hands them out.
Anyway, I was at the only school I like (which is supposed to be my
home school) today. I went to see the principal to get my contract
and he looked, looked again and then another time. It was NOT in his
pile. He said he would make a few phone calls and let me know what
was going on. He said my contract got sent to school #1 (the school
I've had the most trouble) and that I would get my contract sent to
the school by the end of the day. I had my doubts that school #`
would send it to school #3. I did get it by the end of the day. I
think the district office typed me up a fresh contract. It came
straight from the secretary of the HR person.

There are 2 possible openings in my district for next year that I
probably have an option of teaching in.

#1 - rich old $ school. This would be full time 3 - 6th grade. I
would have to stay after school every day for chorus, drumming and
other classes. Also they do a musical every year and there would be
musical practices too. It is also an arts infused school. I would
also conduct classes to classroom teachers on how to incorporate the
arts in their regular classrooms.

I know I could do the job. I was a classroom teacher for 12 years and
I've taught music for 13 or 14 years. Incorporating the Arts into the
classroom would be easy to me and I've also taking several classes on
how to do this. I'm just wondering.......do I want to get into this
kind of school situation? I am literally going from the bottom 3 or 4
schools to the top elementary school in my district. I also live 45
minutes (minimum) from the school. Do I have enough time to be able
to go to this school and be the President of the SC AOSA chapter too?

#2 - I would be at 3 schools again but they would all be on the
traditional schedule. I would be away from the bottom 2 schools which
is where my problems are. If I am a traveling teacher I do not have
to do any morning or afternoon duties. One of the schools is the
school that I really like. My coworkers are great. I am a little
anxious in that I am at the school 2 full days. The teacher who has
the other 2 schools only has the 2 schools. Will I be overloaded
doing these 3 schools?

I would have to interview at choice #1 and I don't have an interview
yet. Waiting to see what happens.

--
Denise in SC
NBCT-EMC Music, 2004