From: M Stanley

Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:47:29 -0400

Print List Archive Message

I am so grateful you posted this activity. It reminds me of something I've
been wanting to do this year and forgot.

Let's analyze it a bit.

This activity is in Bloom's Taxonomy under "analysis." It requires that you
look at the PARTS of something, which is my kid-friendly definition of
analysis. Therefore, it is considered higher order thinking which is always
a good thing for kids to do. They have to really dig to get the answers and
it's FUN.

It's also vastly enjoyable to watch kids come up with answers to questions
that seemingly come out of the air ----
how are the princes in Into The Woods alike and different?
what are the similarities between a moose and an airplane?
how are the three pigs like the three bears?
how are a cupcake and a hamburger alike?
how are a clarinet and a tuba alike?

Don't forget to put the "how are they alike" in there as well. Compare and
contrast are not all about the differences.

Real mind stretchers.

Then if you like that and want to expand it more, have them give their
answers in 1) rhyming couplets which they also could sing or not or 2)
movement/mime (physical representation) or 3) quick sketches on the board.

Gotta go make a lesson plan now!

--
Martha Stanley, NBCT
www.marthabeesmusic.com