From: Tami Mangusso

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:01:44 -0600

Print List Archive Message

I've played where you count the class off by two's. The two's sit down in
a circle. Make sure there is space between the students sitting (make
windows/or doorways). The one's stand behind someone that is sitting. Then
pick someone who is sitting and have them stand in the middle or if you
have an odd number of students, the person who doesn't have someone to
stand behind will stand in the middle and you won't need to pick someone.
Then pick someone who is sitting to play the beat on the drum or
instrument of your choosing. The students who are standing will walk
around the outside circle of the students who are sitting as the song is
being sung. When the person who is playing the instrument stops, then
everyone needs to get behind someone who is sitting. To include the person
standing in the middle. The person who wasn't able to find someone to
stand behind, ends up in the middle. At the end of each round choose a
different person to play the drum. Also switch who is sitting with those
who are standing. Some people do play it where the person who is standing
in the middle is the person playing the instrument, but then students
purposely try to get out so they can play the instrument. If the teacher
picks or someone else picks, then they don't know who will be the one to
play the instrument and will focus more on playing the game.
Whenever I play illumination type games I have the person who is out stand
behind the person who they think will be out next. If they get out, then
they get to come back in and the new person who is out stands behind
someone. If the person who they are standing behind doesn't get out, then
they can choose to stay behind that person or change who they are standing
behind. Every time a person gets out they stand behind someone. Once it
gets to be 5 or 6 students out, then I have everyone come back in and start
out fresh. If I need or want instruments to keep the beat I just randomly
pick students and then they will pick a student at the end of each round.
This seems to work for my students and it keeps students from feeling
terrible that they got out. If they know they get a second chance, then
it's not so bad.
Hope this all makes sense.
Tami in CO

--