From: Ann Wells

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:11:59 -0400

Print List Archive Message

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Becky Luce
wrote:
> Just a question...what good will bell covers do if the air is escaping the
> instrument before it reaches the end of the instrument? Thanks,
> Becky in NH

One of the performing arts aerosol studies they did addressed this - I
believe they determined that woodwind keyholes did not appreciably
contribute to aerosol spread. (But tested with a clarinet, so recorder
mileage may vary...)
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/unprecedented-international-coalition-led-by-performing-arts-organizations-to-commission-covid-19-study/
is the page with links to all the information - I haven't looked at it in a
while, turns out the study was officially published last week and it's
available to the public - there's a link to it if you want to wade through
all the research verbiage. Anyway, at the link above, if you go down to the
info on the 3rd preliminary results release, that is where the keyhole
emissions thing was first discussed.
As for aerosol emissions from the window of the recorder, they also
recommend playing through a slit cut in a mask so presumably that part of
the recorder would be inside the mask, maybe?
~Ann in NC
Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com
List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com
To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick