From: Penny Thomas

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 11:23:26 -0400

Print List Archive Message

I have always taught folk songs, as they are part of our American history.
The past few years, I have consulted with the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade social
studies teachers (our 4th and 5th graders change classes and one teacher
teaches math, another ELA, and the third Science and Social Studies.).
Some sent me their lesson plans, and others just let me know what they were
currently or going to teach. I then added to my lessons some folk songs
and history that went with their class. This past year, I made a bunch of
Google slides that included some history, and the songs.
Folk songs are our history, and as I often told my students, you can learn
the history of our country by our songs. By teaching them the songs of the
time period they were studying, it made a lot more impact on them.
Dr. Penny, retired in GA

Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: https://www.musick8.com
List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com
To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick8