From: ellie wong

Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 02:43:15 -0800

Print List Archive Message

Hi Judi:Been hanging out to read what others have said. For many years now, myschool district just offers nine classes of music a year for each school. Not only do I only see them once a week for half an hour but I often willbe their only music class they will have in their entire elementary schoolyear. So that gets rid of an excuse of only seeing kids once a week,doesn't it. I do see the children with their classroom teachers present soteachers can follow thru.My student population is mixed with some schools heavy in Hispanics orAfrican American in 80 to 93 percentages.So your basic question is why aren't my upper grade students who are mostlyHispanic not more enthusiastic about music. Might it be their culturalbackground? My experience shows me this is a false assumption when it comesto my own personal experiences. I teach in Hispanic populations where theschool is their only English experience and many are new California.During this winter break I'm spending a lot of time on Facebook. To mydelight there have been opportunities to explore Teachers Pay Teachers withfree giveaways. This has allowed me to see what some teachers areoffering. For the next 5 minutes you can download this product. You have tobe online at that time to take advantage. I am incredibly impressed withtheir offerings. You will find teachers on this list who are sellers. I'mso loving this. I say this here because it is a resource for you toincorporate into your teaching that may well be new, exciting andchallenging for you to do with your students.Children will often take on the enthusiasm of their teacher. Theirinterest in a subject is often a reflection of the passion expressed bytheir presenter. To ignite my own passion, I've made the extra effort toparticipate in two organizations where I have been given training andinstruments free of charge. With Little Kids Rock I have guitars andmentoring to teach with these Modern Band instruments. Inadvertently Ijoined Guitars In the Classroom to better teach guitar playing and havebeen given 30 ukes and 12 guitars. These are groups open to any teacher whoregisters on their websites.Wishing you blessings in your wish to build enthusiasm in your upper gradeclass,EllieOn Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Norm Sands wrote:> My students are 99.9% Hispanic (there's me and two other kids in the> entire school - including faculty and administration that aren't Hispanic> LOL). While many have suggested locating music of their culture, I have> found while that may be helpful, it's not "the solution." Music is, after> all, a "universal language" - it's not the material, it's the approach. As> with any music program, I try to include music from ALL cultures, not just> "English music" or just "Spanish music" or just those two. The answer to> reaching them lies in you. As it is your third year, you are only> BEGINNING to become a fixture at your school. You are correct that the> older ones are probably not yet "your kids" especially since you're in a> once-a-week setup.>> My school is a "dual language" school which means on alternating days we> speak Spanish. This does not mean "Spanish all day long" because I do have> some "English" classes (not bilingual) so, naturally, those classes are> taught in English. I do teach my bilingual classes in Spanish if it is a> Spanish day - which gets tricky because my MATERIALS are not in Spanish, so> the language of INSTRUCTION is in Spanish (as is the social language -> "hello" "please sit down" "make a line" "please raise your hand" "turn to> page") but then we may or may not sing or play and English song, so yes, it> gets very weird...but...in this part of the country, the mixture of the two> languages (and the two cultures) is so common that no one bats an eye. It> is very commonplace to hear conversations where one person is speaking> Spanish while the other is answering in English and both understand each> other completely. LOL My word wall is written entirely in both languages> (whenever the term is not Italian) and my basic "always on the board"> stuff is also in both languages ("Today I will be able to..." "Please turn> to page...") You are fortunate that your students are "nice." My students> come with a variety of situations and sometimes they're not so "nice" LOL,> but what I have noticed is when things "go south" it's rarely because it's> something against me or music - it's usually between them, something going> on at home, something that happened earlier that day, etc.>> So I guess my answer to your question is...you're probably just going to> have to give it some more time. Continue to learn the language. If you> don't know a word in Spanish - ask them (they like when they get to be the> teacher!) "Hang out" with your older kids in the lunch room or at recess> if possible. Let them get to know the fact that you are there for THEM and> you're not going anywhere. Continue to try to make your lessons relevant,> "Why do we need to know this stuff?" Using the instruments is a great way> to get the concepts across. Set up mini performances if it's possible -> it's easier to get them to focus if they have a "culminating event" to work> toward. Continue to set up lessons with good teaching practices that> include periodic assessment and feedback. Let them know "Hey! You got> it!" or "You know, I think we need to work on this a bit more..." so they> know they're actually held accountable for subject matter taught during> their time with you. And yes, competitions never hurt - boys vs. girls,> class vs. teacher, blue vs. red, etc.>> Norm Sands>> ________________________________>>>> >________________________________> > From: Judi Thomas > >To: MK8 Mailing List > >Cc: MK8 Mailing List > >Sent: Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:45 PM> >Subject: [MK8] Question about bilingual classes> >> >> >Happy New Year!> >> >I have hesitated to ask this question because I don't want it to sound> like a "racial" question. But I'm going to try to explain it carefully so> hopefully it is clear and not offensive.> >> >This is my 3rd year at a bilingual school. Our population is around 90%> Hispanic. I LOVE teaching at this school but I'm still figuring out some> things. My K, 1st, 2nd & 3rd graders are singing better......not perfect,> but better. I was really excited about the way my 3rd graders sang in their> Christmas performance.....it was noticeably better singing.> >> >However.......My 4th and 5th graders are nice, cooperative and we get> along fine, but I still don't have their interest in music & musical> concepts. They love PE and soccer and anything competitive. My thought was> to use games to practice music information but I can't figure out how to> PRESENT the information so that we have something to practice.> >> >These students were 2nd & 3rd graders when I started at this school. Is> this situation because they are not "my kids" that I have grown up in my> program? I am grateful that they are nice because otherwise this would not> be fun! (It is also a challenge because music happens only once a week.)> >> >I have tried to play instruments quite a bit and reinforce music concepts> as we learn pieces. I have tried several of Artie's movement activities as> well. I never feel like I'm reaching them.> >> >I know many of you teach in bilingual schools with a higher percentage> than I have. I know that many of you have crazier schedules than I do. I am> hoping to learn from your experiences!> >> >One more thing.....I'm looking for a composer from Mexico and I'd love to> hear your suggestions.> >> >Thanks!> >Judi> >> >> >> >> |=============================================|>> Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: http://www.musick8.com> List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com> To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick8.com> Subscribe/unsubscribe: https://www.musick8.com/html/list.php> List Archives: http://www.musick8.com/listarchive/list_archive.php>> User Options: http://lists.musick8.com/options/mk8-talk/goldot@gmail.com>-- Ellie ❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ |=============================================|Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: http://www.musick8.comList Administrator: list_admi