From: M Stanley

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 14:21:19 -0600

Print List Archive Message

I have a very NON-diverse population which is very basketball oriented. I
connect as much as I can to it. Practice, practice skills, preparing
mentally, listening to the coach, teamwork, discipline, persistence,
cooperation, there is no star, proper posture, technique.. and I can go =
on.
I can be heard saying VERY frequently "it's like coach says.." or "if
you're dribbling, do you.? So that's like singing when you."

Re the "game format" - you could be real upfront and say, this game is to
help you learn blank, but you don't know blank yet. So let me get that in
your heads today and then we'll play.
You can also have lots of teams (small group) activities. Re movement:
have the teams come up with their own movements. And their own rubrics.
Tie it in to sports. you need the precision, the teamwork, the focus=
..

Ask them what kinds of movement activities they like. Spin off from there.

Have those small groups compose as much as you can stand. Have them label
everything in English and Spanish, verbally, so that you know they know
what's happening.

Just a few thoughts.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Judi Thomas <
thankful4danteclairejames@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Happy New Year!
>
> I have hesitated to ask this question because I don't want it to sound
> like a "racial" question. But I'm going to try to explain it carefully so
> hopefully it is clear and not offensive.
>
> This is my 3rd year at a bilingual school. Our population is around 90%
> Hispanic. I LOVE teaching at this school but I'm still figuring out some
> things. My K, 1st, 2nd & 3rd graders are singing better......not perfect,
> but better. I was really excited about the way my 3rd graders sang in the=
ir
> Christmas performance.....it was noticeably better singing.
>
> However.......My 4th and 5th graders are nice, cooperative and we get
> along fine, but I still don't have their interest in music & musical
> concepts. They love PE and soccer and anything competitive. My thought was
> to use games to practice music information but I can't figure out how to
> PRESENT the information so that we have something to practice.
>
> These students were 2nd & 3rd graders when I started at this school. Is
> this situation because they are not "my kids" that I have grown up in my
> program? I am grateful that they are nice because otherwise this would not
> be fun! (It is also a challenge because music happens only once a week.)
>
> I have tried to play instruments quite a bit and reinforce music concepts
> as we learn pieces. I have tried several of Artie's movement activities as
> well. I never feel like I'm reaching them.
>
> I know many of you teach in bilingual schools with a higher percentage
> than I have. I know that many of you have crazier schedules than I do. I =
am
> hoping to learn from your experiences!
>
> One more thing.....I'm looking for a composer from Mexico and I'd love to
> hear your suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
> Judi
>
> User Options:
> http://lists.musick8.com/options/mk8-talk/marthabees@gmail.com

-- =

Martha Stanley, NBCT
marthabees at gmail.com
www.marthabeesmusic.com
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas first!