From: Mickle, Mary E.

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 19:55:10 0000

Print List Archive Message

I have chorus in the morning from 7:45-8:25 (my classes start at 8:30) once a week. If I am absent, I cancel chorus. Once my concerts are over, chorus is over. For December, I have my concert the last week of school so that is a non-issue. In the Spring, after our show, we have on short get together during the following chorus time for a small celebration. After that, it is over.

Mary Mickle, ________________________________________

I have a question for all elementary, in-school chorus teachers.

I have always (for 16 years) taught chorus after school. This year, however, my VERY small district has gone to 1 bus run per day for all K-12 students, thus getting rid of after school events. Long story short: now chorus is during the day. This has brought up issues I have not previously given thought to!

How do you in-school chorus teachers handle canceling chorus? Is chorus ever cancelled? Do your subs teach chorus? And do you still have chorus even after your concerts are over?

Many thanks for your input!

Jody

Jody Parisi
Vocal Music
Caledonia-Mumford Elementary School
Caledonia, NY
jparisi@cal-mum.org

"The fact that children make beautiful music is less significant
than the fact that music makes beautiful children."
Cheryl Lavendar