From: Robin Lavinder

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 18:00:22 -0400

Print List Archive Message

It's either a cart or nothing! I teach in a school that I will never havea room. Every nook and cranny is filled to the brim with OT, PT, Speechtherapy, Pal's tutors, SPED classes, small group intervention and on andon. I have been doing a cart for the last 14 years so I'm used to it. Ihave found there are a few advantages. One, I am on time! I can see whatthe students are doing and the classroom teachers see what I am doing. Ihave learned to be fully self contained. If I need technology, I have alaptop and a projector on my cart. I can clear the floor, dance and playinstruments with the kids and put it all back again in 30 minutes. If Iunplug it I plug it back, if I write on it, I erase it, if I move it, I putit back. If I know I will need the board, I write what I need on eitherbulletin board paper or a piece of dollar store tablecloth and put it overwhat's on the board. I never erase unless I ask and I try not to do that. I have another school and I do have a room there, but if we get 3 moresecond grade students, I will lose it to a second grade classroom. Andthis building is two story with no elevator!!! But again, you make it workFOR THE CHILDREN!!!! I'm the only music teacher they get so I MUST cram asmuch as humanly possible into what ever time/circumstance I see them.Robin in VA who is teaching summer school kindercamp tommorrow:)On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Natasha Matveeva wrote:> When I first started they gave me a key to a room and a list of students.> In the new school two years ago they gave me a key to the room but no list> of students. Next time they will probably give me nothing at all. I teach> public school so obviously all the state expectations apply.>> I applied for MusicPlay grant and they gave us a grant that covered 50%.> The principal came up with the rest of the money. I bought a projector (the> one the school provided me with did not work with my laptop) and> projected MusicPlay Power Point presentations and Quick Movies on the wall> (two 2nd graders got stuck in my projector screen the year before when they> tried to take robber stoppers off the legs of the screen to throw at kids.> After un-stucking them I decided that a wall is safer) MusicPlay teacher> guide comes with CDs with both performance and accompaniment tracks for> every song - I think at least 100 songs for each grade level. I love all> the Kodaly and Orff activities. Every lesson includes a game. It is working> very well for me!>> I don't think teachers in public schools should agree to teach on a cart> anymore. This is 21 century and given the importance of entertainment,> marketing and communication industries, music teachers need to have access> to technology and training on how to prepare today's children for 21> century careers, not given a cart and a boom box.>>> ________________________________> From: Kristin Lukow > To: MK8 Mailing List > Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:35 PM> Subject: [MK8] question from a music teacher>>> Hello friends ~>> I received a question from a gal on my Teachers Pay Teacher site that> really floored me! I don't know why, because the situations that some of> you find yourselves in amaze me. I'm going to include her words in quotes> and would welcome your responses that I could share with her. I> recommended Denise Gagne's MusicPlay. I was so blessed to be given the> entire series and find that it is completely assessable in a situation like> hers.>> I'm just amazed that they would have no music program for 20 years and> then hand her a list of things she HAD to teach with no materials with> which to accomplish this. It almost seems like a music game show along the> lines of Iron Chef. Okay! Let's see if you can teach music with no> materials, no space and you MUST accomplish these things. It just seems> like a joke to me but I know it's entirely real for many of you.>> Here is her quote:>> "I was given a list of things that I had to teach, with no materials to> teach them. So I used whatever I could find from the internet, and included> the history of composers, used rhythm worksheets, introduced the students> to different types of music, music theory, and played percussion> instruments. The school has not had a music program for 20 years, so the> decisions I make are important to the future of the program. I need a> curriculum book, something from K-5 that will have modified lessons for> each grade. I don't have a classroom, and go from room to room. Sometimes I> have access to a computer and smart board, and sometimes I don't. (It> depends on the teacher.) Can you recommend some teaching materials that> would be suitable for my situation? Thanks!">> Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.>> ¸ . • * ¨ * • ♫ Kristin Lukow> http://kristinlukow.blogspot.com> http://www.youtube.com/kristinlukow> https://www.facebook.com/lukowmusic> http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Kristin-Lukow>>>>>> |=============================================|>> Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: http://www.musick8.com> List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com> To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick8.com> Subscribe/unsubscribe: https://www.musick8.com/html/list.php> List Archives: http://www.musick8.com/listarchive/list_archive.php>> User Options:> http://lists.musick8.com/options/mk8-talk/nmatveeva@yahoo.com> |=============================================|>> Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: http://www.musick8.com> List Administrator: list_admin@musick8.com> To send a message to the list: MK8-talk@lists.musick8.com> Subscribe/unsubscribe: https://www.musick8.com/html/list.php> List Archives: http://www.musick8.com/listarchive/list_archive.php>> User Options:> http://lists.musick8.com/options/mk8-talk/robin.lavinder@frco.k12.va.us>-- Robin LavinderMusic Teacher: Lee Waid/Rocky Mount|=============================================|Hosted by Plank Road Publishing: http://www.musick8.comList Administrator: list_admi