Stand Up Orchestra

Share your lesson plans or ask other teachers about theirs.
gdarrah1

Stand Up Orchestra

Post by gdarrah1 »

This year for music since I'm teaching on-line, I'm having my students create a stand up Orchestra. I send home the paper doll players, violin, viola, cello, etc. The students color them and cut them out and I give them directions for how to mount them on a display board. Each week we only focus on one instrument. I show them youtube videos (or post them so the students can watch them themselves and I assign a homework page that relates. This is good for all ages. I teach K - 8. I adjust homework according to abilities.
You can find the Stand up Symphony on the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra Website. (SLSO.org)
As we're studying the different instruments and they get a grasp of how the instruments sound we can play Bingo with the sounds of the instruments. Also, Peter and the Wolf is on the docket for when we get to the Woodwinds and brass section. I'm finding the students really like the project. I've been cut back to teaching music only one day a week so this project will take us through February.
The younger students need help with getting their display board ready. I had them make marks on them so it would be easy for me to show/tell them where to place the players as we learn about each instrument. I'm happy to share my lesson plans with anyone who is interested.
We have completed violins, violas and cellos. Next week is Double Bass.